My life is better because of books and reading. No doubt about it. I have such a deep sadness for people who never, ever bother to read a book. I assure you, I have met many of them. Some are dear friends. Their idea of reading may be picking up a copy of US Weekly or Cosmo.. and THAT breaks my heart.
I always said I do not review books, and I still don't. But I do have a few favorites I do not mind sharing with you.
I have to admit, I read about one new fiction book a week. I wish I had more time to read more, but that is about average. As for Non-fiction, I zoom thru those just scanning for items that interest me.
Yes, there have been times I picked up a book, began to read it - and put it back down. It just was not the right time. But eventually, I always come back for more.
Don't expect my list to be profound - it's not. I read to be entertained. I read to connect to the character. I am not trying to solve the problems or the world, or even increase my vocabulary (though it does happen by chance!)
With out further adieu, my favorite books of ALL time:
1. Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen - my ABSOLUTE favorite book. I have the BIGGEST crush on Mr. Darcy. I can't help it. No, the movie does NOT count. Just pick up the book - you will NOT be disappointed.
2. Memnoch the Devil, Anne Rice - I am a HUGE fan of the Vampire Chronicles, and Memnoch the Devil was one of my favorite in the series.
3. Hill Towns, Anne Rivers Siddons - I love all of her books - but my favorite one is Hill Towns.
4. Turning Angel, Greg Iles - OMG. Just read it. Actually, read ALL of his books.
5. Dante's Inferno - Just so super cool.
6. A Rose For Emily, William Faulkner - hahaha - southern gothic literature at it's finest.
7. Lady Chatterly's Lover, DH Lawrence - Ooh la la scandal.
8. Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert - Just the right book at the right time.
9. Memoirs of a Geisha - I was pleasantly surprised at how AWESOME this book was
10. Abundance, Sena Jeter Naslund, A story about Marie Antoinette - LOVE IT
11. Firefly Lane, Kristen Hannah - a beautiful friendship story
12. Keeping Faith, Jody Picoult - trippy and excellent
13. Spiritual Classic - an anthology of the greatest spiritual writers of all time - LOVES it
14. Arabian Nights - *sigh*
15. Are you there God, it's me - Margaret, Judy Blume - I will never forget this book
16. The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova - Actually, may be my second favorite book of all time
17. City of Masks, a Cree Black Novel, Daniel Hecht - Excellent book (New Orleans)
18. Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil
19. The Twilight Series - for mindless entertainment
20. The Illustrated Man, Ray Bradbury - Seriously cooool.
That's my top 20. What about you? What are your favorite reads! Don't try to impress - entertain me!!!