Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Yummmm Limeade

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire


I am a sucker for a good lime. Yummm.. and sooo pretty and fresh. Right now, I am relaxing with a tall glass of iced limeade, and trying to find inspiration for this blog post. When alas - that is it - Limes or maybe even, summer foods.

I am definitely a BIG believer in seasonal eating. I like my pumpkin spice frappucino in the fall, my red velvet cake in the winter, my cherry jubilee ice cream in spring and my limes in the summer. ;-)

On a serious note - my shopping and recipes really do change. Because I live in the deep south where it is hot as hades with high humidity and no sea breeze, I tend to eat lighter in the summer months.

I though today I would share with you a few of my more favorite summer staples. Give them a try! I can assure you, no disappointments!

Summer Recipes

Tzatziki
1 cucumber      2 garlic cloves    8 scallions (green onions)   
2 1/2 cups of strained plain greek yogurt     5 tablespoons chopped, fresh mint
**plus extra mint for garnish     Salt & Pepper  (served with pita bread or good for sandwich spreads or a simple salad)

Trim the cucumber, but do not peel. Cut the cucumber into small neat dice. Finely chop the garlic & scallions. Beat the yogurt in the bowl with a fork until smooth, then fold in the cucumber, garlic, scallions & mint. Season the mix to taste with salt & pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap, & let chill in frig.

Light - Fresh - Delish!

Hummus bi tahini (egyptian style)
14 oz. canned chick peas, drained, rinsed     
1 garlic clove, crushed to paste with a 1/4 tsp salt
3-4 tblsp of sesame seed paste (tahini)    2-4 tblsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp cumin     EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) for thinning
Salt        Warm pita to serve with     Paprika     Parsley

Put all but 1 tblsp chick peas into food processor. Add garlic & process to a thick, coarse paste. Add 3 tbsp of tahini & process again, until well-blended. Add tbsp lemon juice, cumin, & salt to taste. Process until creamy. Taste & add extra tahini &/or lemon juice, if desired.

For a thinner dip (preferred in the middle east) - w/motor running drizzle in oil or water until you reach the desired consistency.

To Serve: put in a bowl, add indention in the middle - put chickpeas & drizzle oil. sprinkle paprika & parsley. Frig up to 3 days, freeze up to one month.

Salata Tahini
**my FAVORITE daily treat - it's pronounced - Taheena
1large garlic clove crushed to a paste w/ 1/4 tsp salt (sea or kosher salt)
4-6 tblsp water, 4-6 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
5 1/2 ounces sesame seed paste (Tahini)
1 tblsp freshly chopped parsley  salt
warm pita

** I add cayenne pepper,black pepper,  paprika and a dash of vinegar for an extra kick. What is above is the basic recipe

Put garlic in a bowl & stir in 4 tbsp. water & 4 tbsp lemon juice. Use fork to whisk in tahini, then season to taste with salt (and other ingredients I added above). Taste & add extra tahini & lemon juice until sauce has a smooth, pouring consistency. Stir in parsley. Transfer to a bowl. ** it thickens when chilled. Just add more water or lemon juice.

Dip your pita, crackers or chips!

Pasta Salad - Thurston Style
1 large box angel hair pasta
1 cucumber, peeled, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 bunch of scallions
1 bottle balsamic vinaigrette dressing
1 container of salad seasoning (small)
Dash of hot sauce

Cook pasta.
Drain.
Mix all the ingredients together.
Chill

Margarita Pie
1 qt vanilla ice cream, soft (I pick the fat free)
1 (12 oz) can frozen LIMEADE (woo hoo), thawed
1-2 drops green food coloring
1 (6 oz) Graham cracker pie crust
Cool whip (fat free) and lime wedges

Beat ice cream, limeade and food coloring - medium speed until well blended. Spread into crust. Freeze 4 hours. Let stand at room temp - garnish with cool whip and lime wedges.

Pineapple Aloha Pie
1 8 inch graham cracker crust
4 oz. cream cheese     1/4 c sugar
10oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 c. whip cream.

In bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugar & beat. Add pineapple & mix well. Spoon into pie crust. Chill.


** I am a BIG salad eater. Some of my favorite home made salad dressings are here:

GreeK Salad dressing
3/4 olive oil     1/4 cup red wine vinegar or white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt      1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp oregano


Creamy Herb Salad Dressing
1 c. buttermilk     1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped    1/2 tsp dried dill
1/4 c. fresh parsley chopped   1/4 tsp dry mustard  1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt   1/8 tsp black pepper


As for other things I eat:

1. I chop cucumbers up and soak them in white vinegar or balsamic vinegar and black pepper. Then chill. I eat them as a snack.
2. I will bake chicken tenders and brush on olive oil and sprinkle lemon pepper for a quick fix.


What about you? What are some of your summer staples?

3 comments:

LBR said...

Ooo I'm so glad to have your hummus and tahini recipe!

Single and Sane said...

I've added the Margarita Pie and the Pineapple Aloha Pie to my recipe file - I hope to make summer staples out of both!

Thanks for stopping by over the weekend. =)

Leanne said...

Ok . . . so I am SO HAPPY you finally shared your tahini recipes with us!! YIPPIEE!! Looks like I'm stopping at the grocery store tomorrow! Love these - all of them! So yum!

YOUR AD HERE!

Interested in purchasing ad space? Your ad could be RIGHT HERE.
Email snicoleabdou@gmail.com for more details.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails