Each year, I try to figure out what makes me happy. Just good, old fashioned - Happy. Believe it or not, it changes from year to year, season to season. The things that once brought so much joy to my life when I was 16 (flamingos, talking on the phone, auditioning and performing in theater) to what thrilled me at 24 (television field producing, white russians (the drink,) sparkly eye shadow) to now are completely different.
With that being said, I am going to take a good, hard look at my "Happiness Factor" in November of 2010. Join me on this journey:
1. Coffee. I know I have said it a million times, but I really, truly enjoy a good cup of coffee. Yes, I am an addict, and yes - I am okay with that. I love the smell of it, I love it's soothing taste, and I love the jolt of happiness I get from the energy it gives me. God bless coffee.
2. Cooking. WHO FREAKING KNEW? I actually enjoy cooking. I like picking out the recipes, shopping for the ingredients, and God forbid - actually cooking it up. No, I don't cook a whole lot, but I do enjoy it. Nice to know there is a domestic side to me.
3. Driving with the sunroof open and the radio blasting. Granted, I would never do that where others would hear, just when I am zooming down the interstate. I love to see a bright, blue skies, and smell the fresh air and just gooooooo. PS - I sing at the top of my lungs.
4. Wearing scarves. I don't know what happened, but I went from a "bag" girl to a "scarf" girl. Seriously, I have a basket full of them, and sometimes I just dump them out and look at the different kinds. Ahhh.. accessories.
5. Listening to my niece laugh. Her laughter is completely infectious. I need to hear silly giggles from time to time.
6. My Zumba and Body Jam classes. I really, truly love these classes for my exercise. I look forward to these classes. Whether or not the weight comes off is not important to me, it's whether I am breaking a sweat, moving my body and just having a good time. It is sooo refreshing to find a form of exercise I truly enjoy.
7. $1 movie theater. I could see one movie a night, if I had the time!
8. My ipod, still remains one of my greatest loves.
9. Visiting old book stores. I love browsing used books!
10. Sleeping. I have actually learned to love to sleep. (Now that I don't wake up gasping for air.) Seriously, that was hell.
11. Traveling alone. I now have a taste for it, and crave that independence.
12. Eating a really fresh, crisp salad; or tasting a little pumpkin pie; dipping a tortilla into fresh guacamole; sipping turkish coffee with my egyptian friends; tasting goat cheese.. I could go on and on. But trying the foods I love make me happy. A new addiction - Indian Food.
15. Finally spending time with my family and friends.
I know.. nothing earth shattering. But for tonight - for today - It makes me happy.