"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. "
One of my blog followers suggested I write about what I am most passionate about.
Ha! One of my FAVORITE subjects.
Several years ago, let's say 2002, I was browsing the shelves of a metaphysical shop in Macon, Georgia called Harmonious Balance.
My Italian exchange student, Chiara, was with me. She was preparing to go home soon, and this was our last little day out together. I came across a little basket of stones. Each tiny stone (about the size of your fingertip) had a word on it. The first one I pulled out read, "Passion." I grabbed it and immediately purchased it.
As we were walking out the door, I pulled Chiara aside and said, "I have something for you. It is so important. I want you to take this stone and keep it with you always. It says Passion - and at the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters."
I think if the passion is gone - what is the point?
Maybe I think this way because I am a creative/tortured soul type. Maybe because most writers are a bit on the "emotional" side. Or maybe, I get it. Passion to me = Life well lived.
But that is not the point of my follower wanted me to write about. She wanted me to discuss WHAT am I passionate about.
Well.. let's see if I can take a crack at it:
1. God. Of yes - don't be fooled. Underneath the snide remarks and the profanity from time to time - I am a spiritual person. I get most of my INSPIRATION from reading about God and his love for the world. So - my spirituality makes me passionate.
2. Original thought. I am completely inspired when I surround myself with people who have the ability to think deeply. I even view reading books from "way back when" is an excellent way to get into the mind of the most brilliant people who have ever walked the earth.
3. Culture. I think being exposed to other nationalities, personalities, art form, language, foods, music, etc. is one of the single most important things a person can do in their life. You learn so much about your perception of reality.
4. Issues I am passionate about: Human Trafficking, Human rights, Animal Rights, Arts education.
5. Finally - when it comes to love - Passion must rule.
What about you? What gets your heart pumping and your soul filled?