Every year, about this same time, I get that far-away, dreamy look... you know the one, right? The one that says, "Next year.. oh next year."
I'm all about "fresh starts" and new changes.. and CHANGE, oh how I LOVE change. I'm one of those weirdos who relish the idea of trying something new, in hopes that THIS is THE moment.. the one I was waiting for... when life becomes blissfully perfect.
Therein lies the problem... perfection.
Okay, okay.. so I won't become perfect. Not even close. But what I can do is strive to make some changes in my life.. you know.. just something new to give a go.
When deciding how this is going to go down, I need to be honest with myself. Here we go:
1. I will not lose the weight. It's not going to happen. No way, no how. I'm going to be honest with myself, IT'S. NOT. GOING. TO HAPPEN. You know why? Because I just don't care enough. Hell, I'll admit it. I like exercise, but not enough to commit to every day for an hour or so. (Which is basically what I would need to do in order to tone up and lose.) Also, I like food. Period. I will eat stuff that is super healthy, but I'm not going to pretend to always make good food choices, because I'm not. I'm tired of setting myself up for failure. Screw what other people think. I'll make some changes, and I'll probably lose some weight, but I will not get down to a size five next year. (Which is basically the size I would be if I got down to the proper BMI.) Not. Going. To. Happen. (Now if we are talking a five year plan....)
2. I probably will not be fluent in any language next year. I'll continue to bang away at my Rosetta Stone, but fluent.. I will not be. But I will be better.
3. As much as I would love to finally take that trip to Bangkok to see Pennapa, the truth is, I simply do not have the time or money to do so. My job does not allow me to take a heck of a lot of vacation time, and honestly, without a double income, it's not going to happen. It sucks.. but I need to be realistic.
4. I probably WON'T do anything fantastic like write a book, or learn to sail, or finally sew some curtains.
5. Finally, I'm going to curse, make mistakes, be lazy, get angry, and probably piss a few people off. Becoming another Mother Theresa.. I am not.
If the truth be told... I'm hoping to one day do some of these things. I hope to one day get back to a size 5 one day (and not because I was super sick or had to turn to surgery or something ridiculous like that.) I do hope to eventually become fluent in French, and maybe one day I will finally join the Peace Corps.
But truthfully, I need to be patient with myself.
What do you need to be realistic about next year?