|Laura Rowe Photography|
It's been one week and I have created my own little new obsessions. Before, I had my basic little routines, and now - the routines are mixed up a bit, with a LOT more "blah" time entwined.
With Starbucks more than 15 miles away, (I kid you not - I told you, my parents moved out to the country.. not within Macon city limits,) my Pumpkin Spice Lattes are a thing of the past. Well, unless I find myself on that side of town.
Meeting up with my super interesting friends has changed, as well as the pace. I feel like I am moving much, MUCH slower. Which was good while I was all wound up, my resilience kicked in after seven days, and now I am ready to take on the world again.
With that being said, it's just a stop. A momentary glimpse I will look back on one day and say, "Oh yeah, I remember that."
Since I am in career purgatory, I have found some things/activities to pass my time. New little "obsessions." I use that term loosely, because the truth is, it's maybe just the little things that bring a smile to my face.
1. Pumpkin Pie Blizzard from Dairy Queen. Sheesh - that's a mighty fine specimen of ice cream, all for under $4. Granted, the pounds it could put on my hips is never a good thing, but I have only purchased one, yet it's all I can think about. ;-)
2. Bumping into people I have not seen in 20 years. That's the coolest of them all. I was even having lunch yesterday with a friend, and a girl walks by. I swear it was a friend from about 25 years ago. She and I looked at each other, almost staring each other down. We smiled, but did not say anything. I swear I know her. And get this - ha ha ha - I think we are friends on facebook. Again, 25 years is a long time.
3. S'more cupcakes from Halo Desserts in Gray. Remember that little bookstore I happened upon? Well, they were serving up these amazing cupcakes. I have since purchased two. Just another reason to find a gym and quick!
4. Boiled peanut stand about 5 miles up the road. Sooo.. there is a gas station at the country high way crossroads about 5 miles from here. They serve "Mike's Boiled Peanuts" from this curbside stand. Best boiled peanuts - ever! You get a HUGE cup full for under $4. I can't remember which one of you asked about boiled peanuts, but you had never had any. They are super salty, and yes, they are a little wet, but not too soggy. There is a trick to eating them. You crack them just a little, them suck out the juice. Then you open and eat the boiled peanut inside. Soooooo good.
5. Running silly errands. Since I have absolutely nothing to do, and every thing is within a few blocks of each other in this little town, when I need to run errands, I can do it all within a few steps. HOWEVER, you would think that would make it all go by faster. Au contraire. Not sure why, but the lines are even longer, and everyone is chatting it up. They even want to know your first and last name, and always ask are you related to so & so.
6. 1 cup of strong coffee in the morning. I am not sure how much my dad puts in the thing, but some how there is a little "sludge" at the bottom of my cup. Think Turkish coffee, but bigger. What I have found, one cup will do me fine. Talk about strong!
7. Sims3. Seriously. I have generations now. So. Not. Kidding. \
8. Reading silly books. I picked up some light hearted books from that little book store for under a $1, and have been reading like crazy. Nothing else to do!
9. I want one of those lofts. Okay.. in downtown Macon, there is a loft district of sorts. The price is sooo right, all I need is a job. I. Want. One. Check them out HERE
10. Finally - visiting with old friends. Goodness there are a ton of them, and it takes some time to make it all happen!
What are your little obsessions right now?