This past weekend I helped my roomie celebrate her 38th birthday. We did this by taking a trip to the beach, a trip that had a theme titled, "The Event That Cannot Be Mentioned."
Because my roomie did not want to be reminded she was turning 38.
Then only this morning, I read an article on HuffPost called the 50 Shades of 40 - and it was this "Ode to I Hate Getting Older" bit.
I sat here for a minute and thought... why is everyone so negative about entering their late 30s, early 40s. Personally, it has been a blast.
Here are my reasons:
1. For once, in the work place, I can say that I have 20 + years of experience in my field. What I say and do finally has a little merit to back it up.
2. I know how to conduct my life - Buy a house/rent an apartment, buy cars, go on vacations, plan for retirement, etc. I don't need co-signers and what not. I'm finally independent and have been living that way for well over a decade.
3. When it comes to marriage/weddings/special events - Been there, done that. No anxiety and high stress there. Most of us have experienced planning a wedding, and even more of us can say we have lived through a divorce. We have buried close friends/relatives, and we know all of those silly games for baby showers.
4. People complain about the way they look, and personally, outside gaining weight and developing a few extra lines here and there, none of us really look any different.
5. I am so much more confident about so many little things. I know who I am, and I know what I like and don't like... and honestly, I don't care as much about what other people think.
Overall, I feel better than I probably have in years. Of course my skin is changing, as well as my waist line - but all of that is manageable. As long as you take care of yourself, do the best you can, and try to treat others with respect and fairness, life will reward you with an excellent decade!